[Lincs] Lincoln LUG: launch of new LUG

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Thu Aug 25 15:27:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Chris Hayes <cbhworld at gmail.com> wrote:
> It does strike me as an odd move, sure a Lincoln city LUG would (going
> by what little I've heard) be able to pull off a regular meet, whereas
> the Lincs LUG would (again, heard) fail to meet as the discussion
> concerning where to meet would saturate and stagnate without any
> conclusion. But, leaving Lincs LUG without Lincoln certainly sounds a
> wee bit damaging.
>
> I don't know whether I missed something, but it sounds like this was
> never put out to debate. That's kinda a problem, as this is a fairly
> major change. At the same time I can appreciate that Rebecca is just
> trying to provide the sort of LUG experience Lincs LUG's lack of
> direction has n't managed to pull off.
>
> Sure, regional meets are the ambition here, if you're all mostly happy
> to do it by forking the LUG, just be sure to have serious
> communication between the two. I'm gonna refrain from going all out
> with a yay/nay opinion though, as it's not my LUG. I'm in friggin
> Portsmouth :p
>
> Perhaps a little show of hands could straighten things out...?
>
> Kind regards,
> Chris

Dear all

Please can I be clear that Lincoln LUG has been set up to run as a
complimentary LUG to Lincolnshire LUG, not as a rival or with the
intention of trying to derail what Iain Baker and Dave Rice are doing
with their Lincs LUG revival.  There is enough interest to warrant a
Lincoln LUG but it is not exclusive to Lincoln only members.  It is
open to any LUG member, either from Lincolnshire or any of our
neighbouring LUGs.

The main focus of the Lincoln LUG is to establish regular, face to
face meetings for those members who wish to attend.  The meetings will
be in Lincoln, hence me establishing a Lincoln LUG.

I hope this has clarified a few concerns that some of you have.

Cheers

Becky