[linux-sec-uk] Microsoft wishes to post to this list

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 10:42:56 GMT 2003

Quoting James Davis (jamesd at jml.net):

> I managed to confuse myself by coming up with three opinions on this all
> at the same time.
>
> a) Wrong list, thankyou. b) Wrong list. I can't stop you from posting
> anyway but you may not get the most useful replies. c) This list is for
> discussion, it would be more useful for us to discuss this on the list
> rather than complete online surveys.

All of the above :)

My opinion is (and always has been the rule for the "non-social" lists
I run) that people who are interested in microsoft products will be
subscribed to lists about microsoft products and if you want to reach
those people he should post to those lists.  Obviously topics stray from
time to time, but I've kicked people off lists for repeated deliberate
violations.  Obviously it's a fairly arbitrary rule, but without some
kind of rules mailing lists would cease to be useful.

In this particular case, I fail to see how posting to a list about
Linux-related security issues is even remotely likely to reach a
significant number of people who are interested in what he's talking
about and therefore a polite a) is probably the correct response.

James