[linuxjobs] Sys Admin & Web Apps Developer (Edinburgh)

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Jun 12 20:15:06 UTC 2007

----- Forwarded message from Nick Fiddes -----

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:36:28 +0100
From: Nick Fiddes
To: edlug <edlug at lists.ed.ac.uk>
Subject: [edlug] [Job] Sys Admin & Web Apps Developer

System Administrator & Web Applications Developer

We are an ecommerce services provider, and also run our own highly
successful online retail stores. We now require someone to join our
technical team, with primary responsibility for keeping our systems
operating smoothly whilst implementing new developments.

This post is mostly about running reliable and efficient front-end
systems, working alongside one other member of the tech team who is
mostly in charge of back-end retail systems, plus a team member who
manages the retail data.  But to provide in-house cover you'll be
working on all aspects of our technical operatations, including support.

Essential skills & experience we need are:

- Linux system maintenance
- SQL or other relational databases
- Project Management, from design to completion
- One or more high level programming languages
- SMTP & Mail Servers
- Networking, Routing, IP Tables, etc.
- Shell Scripting
- Fluent technical and colloquial English

The following would also be highly desirable:

- E-commerce systems (especially Interchange)
- Good Perl skills
- Payment Gateways
- Experience of integration projects, combining systems
- Asterisk or other VOIP
- Statistical or mathematical background
- Working with load-balanced scalable systems

You'll enjoy the chance to see immediate results from your work, and
gain experience with a broad variety of technologies. And you'll get
an unusual degree of responsibility to work on your own initiative
and ability to propose ideas within our framework goals.

The workplace (in EH10) is generally friendly and informal, but also
often busy. We very much work on a teamwork basis, so you'll need to
be able to collaborate positively with all other staff for the
overall good of our business and customer service. There are times
when interruptions and changes to workflow priorities are inevitable,
and a cooperative and flexible approach is vital.

We anticipate paying a salary in the range of £18-£22K, though this
may be negotiable for exceptional abilities. You'll work mostly
standard weekday hours, with some flexibility once fully trained. But
you'll also be expected to be available for (rare, and mostly off-
site) troubleshooting out of hours, if necessary to keep our systems
running.

To apply, please write us an introductory email to
<jobs at scotweb.co.uk> telling us why you think the job would suit you
(more than just a couple of lines please) and attach your CV in Word,
text, or PDF format. The position is available immediately but notice
periods may be respected.

For more about what we do, see: http://scotwebstore.com

-