[linuxjobs] RHCE query.

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Jun 20 10:34:19 UTC 2007

** John Cooper <info at discoverlinux.co.uk> [2007-06-19 21:06]:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 11:05:37PM +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking of taking the RCHE exam later in the year and I was just
> >> wondering, how seriously do employers take this qualification?
> >>

> > I think mine has certainly helped get my foot in the door at a few
> > places but that's about as much as you can really expect, I think.
> >
> > I don't think I would have done it had it not been paid for by my
> > employer though.
> >
> I think it was worth the £2000 as it has made a difference when going
> for Linux roles and consultancy. Most companies know Red Hat and many
> specifically ask for RHCE. I did it also to improve my understanding of
> RHEL4 and I am thinking about doing the new upgrade course for RHCEs for
> RHEL5. There is no guarantee it will get you work but if you are serious
> about Linux, I'd go for it.
** end quote [John Cooper]

I'd probably be forced to agree with this, but on a personal basis I
don't rate the qualifications at all. Two reasons behind this:

1. I avoid Red Hat as a distribution if at all possible. This probably
reflects my customer base, which doesn't look for large scale corporate
support and recognition and sees Red Hat as a more expensive option than
Windows (which it is since Windows is a one off cost and can run with
updates until Microsoft ends support, and beyond if they really want to,
whereas Red Hat is useless without he subscription).

2. I have a very poor view of qualifications having done a couple of
Microsoft ones and met a few Microsoft qualified people. The course
exams were passable by people who had only done the course and had no
real world experience (I probably should add that these were not MCSE or
etc. ones) and those with official MS qualified people who had no
interest in IT and were merely collecting qualifications in order to get
promotion to management - their IT ability and common sense were very
poor.

Of course this is all based on Windows courses and is some years out of
date, but it is another view point - and I'm getting very, very grumpy
in my old age :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/