[linuxjobs] RE: RHCE Query

Ian Harper idharper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:18:33 UTC 2007

Paul Tansom wrote:

>1. I avoid Red Hat as a distribution if at all possible. This probably
>reflects my customer base, which doesn't look for large scale corporate
>support and recognition and sees Red Hat as a more expensive option than
>Windows (which it is since Windows is a one off cost and can run with
>updates until Microsoft ends support, and beyond if they really want to,
>whereas Red Hat is useless without he subscription).

But if you use Centos it is Redhat and free to install and update !!
Also I presume your talking windows desktop and not windows server and
all the extra license costs involved.

>2. I have a very poor view of qualifications having done a couple of
>Microsoft ones and met a few Microsoft qualified people. The course
>exams were passable by people who had only done the course and had no
>real world experience (I probably should add that these were not MCSE or
>etc. ones) and those with official MS qualified people who had no
>interest in IT and were merely collecting qualifications in order to get
>promotion to management - their IT ability and common sense were very
>poor.

I agree re MS exams, however the RHCT and RHCE are so different to MS
exams - its practical so it really does test you - I have done RHCT
and RHCE for RHEL3 and now RHEL5 and you have to know your stuff - no
multi choice tick boxes.

If you can get your employer to foot the bill I'd recommend doing it -
lots of practice before you go though !!!.

Re the update course for RHEL5, having done it I wont bother again
when RHEL 7 comes out, I'd go for the 1 week crash course, similar
price but far more appropriate for the exam.

Ian