[linuxjobs] Software Developer, Peterborough

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 16:43:08 UTC 2010

  My company, More Solutions Ltd, currently has a programming vacancy.

I'm not sure how to describe what we would be looking for, other than "a
programmer". Much of the software we work with is in bespoke systems so we'd
be looking for someone who can turn their hand to languages they've not seen
before, but we do also do a lot in PHP so some experience with PHP would
likely be a necessity. However, I need to be clear that from our experience
the majority of people who "do" PHP are not programmers, and we *are* looking
for a programmer - someone who understands the merits of code re-use, error
handling, etc.

 From an infrastructure point of view, all our internal and externally hosted
servers run Linux (mostly Ubuntu Server), and we all make our own desktop
choices (most run Windows but mine is Ubuntu). Cross-platform GUI application
development skills would be a bonus. Experience working with headless Linux
servers would be good too, as would experience in the sorts of tools that make
development in that environment manageable (version control, synchronisation
tools, general scripting skills, etc).

Anyway, we don't currently have a job spec, and we may not take anyone on at
all; it will very much depend on whether we find someone we like. (There will
definitely be a vacancy in the next couple of weeks, but we won't fill it
unless we find someone we're happy with.) Salary would depend on experience
and skills. It's a small, interesting and varied company with interesting
clients, and if a high salary is the main priority then unfortunately (spoken
as the recipient of a salary here!) there are probably better places to go
looking. But CV's or other enquiries welcomed.

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG