[linuxjobs] Cloud Support / Operations System Engineer - Chiswick, West London

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Sun Sep 12 15:07:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

ElasticHosts are currently recruiting for a number of open positions,
including that listed below.

Please also see http://www.elastichosts.com/about/careers/ and drop me an
email with your CV if you are interested in any of these.

Best regards,

Richard.

--
Richard Davies
CEO, ElasticHosts Ltd

CLOUD SUPPORT / OPERATIONS SYSTEM ENGINEER

Location: Chiswick, West London
Type: Permanent
Salary: Based on experience, with performance bonus (25-35k)

Company information
-------------------

We are a leading UK-based cloud computing provider, founded in 2008.
We offer ultra-flexible and easy-to-use cloud servers (IaaS) from our own
data centres, and also license and manage our cloud platform for other
providers who wish to offer cloud servers under their own brand for their
customers, markets and geographies.

We are a start-up business, with a motivated knowledgable team (currently
all Cambridge graduates), and have rapidly grown our sales over the last
year.  We are now expanding our support and operations team to manage this
growth and can offer new joiners an opportunity to grow and develop as we
do.

The role
--------

Technically, our cloud servers are VMs running on Linux KVM with our
in-house cloud platform managing the virtualization clusters.

As our support/operations engineer, you will support our cloud server
customers in their use of our system, resolving technical issues that they
raise. You will also help build-out, manage and maintain the virtualization
clusters that we ourselves run and those that we run for our cloud platform
licensees.

This is a great opportunity to work on a cutting-edge system!

Key responsibilities
--------------------

- Confirming, troubleshooting and resolving technical issues raised by
  cloud server customers in a production environment
- Supporting our sales team in answering technical sales enquiries
- Responding to alerts from our monitoring system and resolving any issues
  with virtualization clusters
- Monitoring capacity utilization of our virtualization clusters and planning
  build-out
- Installing and upgrading our cloud platform on our hardware and our
  licensees hardware (both handled remotely)
- Visiting our data centre in Maidenhead occasionally to install additional
  hardware or in emergencies to resolve hardware failures
- Liasing with vendors from whom we purchase hardware and who provide
  managed data centre services to us
- As with any role of this nature, there will be a requirement for both
  regular on-call cover and occasional unscheduled out of hours work

Skills and experience
---------------------
- Experience and enthusiasm in providing technical support to customers
- Excellent written and oral communication
- First class experience with installation and administration of Linux
- Solid understanding of Intel-based server hardware
- Experience with Linux virtualization, ideally KVM
- Experience of web hosting technologies: domains, DNS, IPs, firewalls, load
  balancing, web servers, web application frameworks, databases, etc.
- Experience with network troubleshooting: ping, traceroute, arp, etc.
- Ideally experience with Windows Server (which some customers run)
- Valid driving licence and own car

Personal attributes

- Well organized, with attention to detail
- Passion for te
- Positive approach
- Ability to work well in a team
- Hard working with a desire to develop and progress