[linuxjobs] Software Engineer (Python, Cloud Computing) - Chiswick, West London

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Sun Sep 12 15:07:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

ElasticHosts are currently recruiting for a number of open positions,
including that listed below.

Please also see http://www.elastichosts.com/about/careers/ and drop me an
email with your CV if you are interested in any of these.

Best regards,

Richard.

--
Richard Davies
CEO, ElasticHosts Ltd

SOFTWARE ENGINEER (PYTHON, CLOUD COMPUTING)

Location: West London
Type: Permanent
Salary: Based on experience, with performance bonus (25-35k)

Company information
-------------------

We are a leading UK-based cloud computing provider, founded in 2008.
We offer ultra-flexible and easy-to-use cloud servers (IaaS) from our own
data centres, and also license and manage our cloud platform for other
providers who wish to offer cloud servers under their own brand for their
customers, markets and geographies.

We are a start-up business, with a motivated knowledgable team (currently
all Cambridge graduates) who built our entire technology platform in-house,
integrating and patching the underlying open source technologies. We have
rapidly grown our sales over the last year and are now expanding our
engineering team to further develop our technology. We can offer new joiners
an opportunity to grow and develop as we do.

The role
--------

Technically, our cloud servers are VMs running on Linux KVM with our
in-house cloud platform managing the virtualization clusters. Our cloud
platform is largely written in Python, with the web interface layer
provided by a Django web application.

As one of our software engineers, you will lead development of the Django
web application which provides our user interface, whilst also contributing
to the technology layers beneath this. We operate a rapid development cycle,
adding small features and fixing bugs in response to customer feedback,
whilst we simultaneously pursue longer-term platform development.

This is a great opportunity to work on a cutting-edge system!

Key responsibilities
--------------------

- Leading development of the Python/Django web application which provides
  our user interface
- Adding small features and fixing bugs in this code base with a rapid
  turnaround, in response to customer feedback received by our sales and
  support teams
- Working with our support team to identify and fix any bugs behind their
  most difficult incidents
- Implementing the longer team feature roadmap for this code base (e.g. Ajax
  improvements to user interface)
- Contributing to the development of lower layers of our technology stack
- Contributing to the open source technologies which we use when necessary
- Working with the technical staff at our platform licensees to design and
  develop any customizations that we have agreed

Skills and experience
---------------------

- Experience of Python development on Linux
- Experience of web application development, ideally using our chosen
  technologies: Django, Ajax, Postgresql, with a good eye for UI design
- Experience contributing to open source projects and with the typical
  email-discussion and patch-based workflow that these adopt (please cite
  examples of any open source work in your CV)
- Experience with developing software in a command-line Linux environment
- Experience with Linux system administration and virtualization, ideally KVM
- Experience of web hosting technologies: domains, DNS, IPs, firewalls, load
  balancing, web servers, web application frameworks, databases, etc.
- Enthusiastic recent graduates with history of recreational programming
  welcome

Personal attributes

- Well organized, with attention to detail
- Passion for technology
- Positive approach
- Ability to work well in a team
- Hard working with a desire to develop and progress