[linuxjobs] Urgently need an nginx/PHP-FPM expert in Central London

Benjamin Nolan ben at betalondon.com
Tue Aug 30 10:41:43 UTC 2011

Hi, everyone,

I desperately need someone to come in for a couple of days to help fix a
problem
with our web servers. Here's the round-up:

    * We've currently got five dedicated servers running Debian 6

    * Two of those servers are running MySQL, replicating data from the
master
      (which all queries go to) to the slave (which is just there as a
      quickly-accessible back-up)

    * Two of those servers are running nginx and PHP-FPM to serve the sites
      (up-to-date packages installed from the dotdeb repository)

    * The other box is running nginx and thin to host a Ruby-on-Rails
      Application

    * There are six sites running on the platform altogether:
      http://www.betalondon.com, http://tell-your-friends.betalondon.com,
      http://www.high50.com, http://www.daddybegood.com,
      http://blog.toptipsforgirls.com
<http://www.daddybegood.com/>/,http://blog.toptipsforgirls.com>, and
http://www.toptipsforgirls.com (the
      Ruby app)

    * http://www.toptipsforgirls.com is running (mostly) fine on its
dedicated
      box, aside from a long-standing bug which causes thin to OOM every
couple
      of days (don't askŠ)

    * http://www.betalondon.com and
http://tell-your-friends.toptipsforgirls.com
 <http://tell-your-friends.toptipsforgirls.com>      are running on the
new PHP servers and respond instantly. They are not
      doing any database queries

    * http://www.high50.com, http://www.daddybegood.com, and
      http://blog.toptipsforgirls.com are intermittently failing and
regularly
      take upwards of 2 minutes to load a page (unless it's been cached).
This
      is making using their admin panels nigh-on impossible

    * We're regularly getting 502 errors from nginx after the page has been
      sitting and not loading for at least a minute

    * When I run queries on the master database server, the responses are
      instant, so I'm not sure what's causing the three PHP-based sites to
react
      so slowly. I'm actually beginning to suspect a Wordpress bug when
it's
      running on nginx, but that wouldn't make sense are there are loads of
      people using it fine on nginx/PHP-FPM without these speed issuesŠ

Can anyone here help? We're based near Oxford Circus station on Great
Titchfield
Street. Ideally I really need someone to come in today to start having a
look at
it, and we need to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Also, if you know anyone who is free and knows nginx/PHP-FPM backwards and
is
likely to be interested in this, please pass this e-mail on to them.

For a bit of background, (Beta) is an advertising agency that has recently
launched several in-house magazine sites, and is in the process of
starting a
few more.  Our clients include Thomas Cook, Jackpot Joy, Iceland, Gumtree
and
Royal Mail.  We were hoping to move several of our clients' sites onto the
new
platform soon, so, for obvious reasons, we need to be absolutely certain
that it's
working perfectly! :)

Regards,

Benjamin Nolan

Senior Developer

(Beta) London
Circus House, 21 Great Titchfield Street
London W1W 8BA

+44 (0)20 7299 7484
+44 (0)7932 060 308

www.betalondon.com | www.high50.com | www.daddybegood.com |