[linuxjobs] Senior Linux Systems Administrator - Apache, MySQL - Isle of Wight

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 08:07:49 UTC 2011

Dickon Hood wrote:

>: This seems to be becomming common practice. I've also noticed that
>: when you talk to people about the job they will ask you first what
>: pay level you are looking for, rather than telling you what they are
>: prepared to pay. If the you only ask for 30K and they were going to
>: offer 40K then the employer just got themselves a bargain. My advice
>: is to aim high and let them talk you down.
>
>That's all well and good, but I really don't want to spend my time
>applying for what looks like a potentially interesting job -- based on the
>company, and the list of skills they're after -- only to find the maximum
>salary / day rate they'll offer wouldn't get me out of bed[0].  It's no
>use to anybody.  Frankly, it's rude.

I agree. It's a waste of everyone's time if the
employer (turning the above figures around) is
only offering £30k, but you're not prepared to
consider less than £40k.

If an employer isn't prepared to give some
indication of what they'll pay, then they cannot
complain if they get a stream of applications
that aren't suitable[1], or who wouldn't take the
job after having wasted time interviewing[2].

[1] Many of the 'more suitable' candidates will
already be occupied with a full time job, and
don't have time to apply for jobs that might well
not be paying what they're on now.

[2] It's waste of everyone's time if you get to
the end of the interview, they ask if you're
still interested at £x/yr, and the candidate just
says "not for that money".

For myself, I have to consider what it would cost
to commute/relocate to wherever the job is. At
the end of the day, there's a minimum I'm
prepared to accept which will vary with location
and other factors (I'd accept less for a really
enjoyable job).

--
Simon Hobson