[linuxjobs] Senior Linux Systems Administrator - Apache, MySQL - Isle of Wight

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 12:02:05 UTC 2011

Samantha Thompson wrote:

>In fairness though some of these job listings contain an
>encyclopaedia of desired skills it would be nice if they included
>that extra little bit of info (and the above reason is exactly why
>they don't IMO).

A lot of the time, the salary offered is the only indication of the
job level they are really offering. Some job adverts seem to imply
they'd like someone with all the top Linux (LPIC), Cisco (CCNA, CCNP,
CC??), 30 years experience in all of them (including new stuff that's
only been around a couple of years) - but then the salary on offer
tells you it's a junior position.
I suspect they list all these qualifications to thin out the
applicants a bit based on the "fact" that "most" will be exaggerating
their skills and so they'll end up with what they want. Trouble is
they won't - honest people won't apply and the employer will miss
out, all they'll be left with will be the b***-sh***ers.

--
Simon Hobson