[linuxjobs] Senior Linux Systems Administrator - Apache, MySQL - Isle of Wight

Samantha Thompson samantha.thompson79 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:01:40 UTC 2011

It always seems to be about who says a number first, when it comes to
salary negotiations, gives away some advantage to the other side. An
employee should have an idea in their mind about what their skills are
generally worth in the market and an employer will have an idea about what
the budget for the position is (one or both may be unrealistic). As a
potential employee I think it's always good to get a potential employer
interested in you, if they want you then talk about your salary
expectations, then you can hit them with it, if you're their favourite
candidate they might swing to it. Obviously this is more convenient to do
if the first interview is by phone rather than going to the isle of white
though.
It's also good not to start the process with a confrontation about this
(unless you're confident that you're extremely unique/rare in the market
place)[am stating the obvious though right?].
In fairness though some of these job listings contain an encyclopaedia of
desired skills it would be nice if they included that extra little bit of
info (and the above reason is exactly why they don't IMO).
Just my 10p its the same in other industries :)

Sam