[linuxjobs] Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire

Darren Austin lists at afterdark.org.uk
Mon Dec 19 20:44:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> If you don't want to receive follow up messages, go to this page:
>   https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/options/linuxjobs/mark--at--brier.me
> and tick the 'New threads' box in the topic filter near the bottom.

Alasdair,
  Is it possible to set the list up so that jobs cannot be advertised unless
they explicitly provide a salary?

A regular expression which matches a £ sign and some numbers would force
advertisers to include such information in their posts.

I certainly don't want to limit the number of jobs posted here (infact I was
one of the ones calling for contract jobs to remain on this list), but it's
begining to take the pish that jobs are being advertised with no indicaton
of salary.

I had a similar debate about this on the Birmingham LUG list fter the
mobilefun job was advertised with no salary - it's obvious that these
companies are seeking the earth in terms of knowledge requirements, but not
willing to pay the rates for those skills -- cheapskates.

They prefer not to add salary information (hiding behind faff like "we pay
what a person is worth", and "the salary range is too braud") because they
know people will not even look at the role because the salary listed is
extracting the urine.  But they are happy for us job seekers to waste our
time with covering letters and "tell us why you would suit the role" gubbins
before they'll admit they are being such cheapskates.

They need to put up or shut up, IMO.
After all, you wouldn't expect to go into a shop to buy some coffee without
the price being listed on the shelf; with the only way to find out the price
of the coffee being to write a covering letter to the store manager.

Darren.

--
Y2K isn't until 2048.
1K = 1024, right?