[linuxjobs] Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 10:49:43 UTC 2011

On 20/12/11 09:48, David Corking wrote:
> Stephen O'Neill said:
>> but perhaps that just means if I am the
>> kind of employer who is put off by this then I shouldn't be posting to this
>> community, which is of course perfectly valid.
> Possibly the recent flames have not been representative of the rest of
> us who just listen and read the list. They certainly aren't
> representative of me.
>
> Flames aside, it is important to request more information publicly for
> the benefit of the list: a poster may have accidentally been vague
> about the location, the type of contract, or a job requirement. It is
> polite to give them a chance to publicly correct an accidental
> omission.
>
> Nevertheless, if neither the flames or nor the discussion about
> recruitment methods happen here, they will still happen: at the bar,
> on blogs and on social media. If you will excuse a mixed metaphor,
> even the good guys who put their heads over the parapet get trashed
> somewhere eventually.
>
> An advertiser can treat the list as write-only if they aren't
> interested in opinions. In fact, it seems the advertisers that attract
> the most flames already treat it that way; those firms aren't about to
> start using salary to attract applicants.

I suspect I fall into the lurker/wannabe anything FOSS

90% of the so called flames I don't care about however I do care about
potential employers wanting a plethora of skills yet only willing to pay
£2.75 per year for said IT God.

I applaud people who voice their disgust on this list and any other
public forum at the practise of trying to get as many skill sets as
possible for the lowest possible wage. The only way to stop this
practice is for potential employees to speak up, if any employer is put
off posting vacancies to this or any other list because they dislike
their poor remuneration offering being flamed about then they should
revise their requirements or pay rates.

I wonder whatever happened to "A fair days work for a fair days pay."