[linuxjobs] Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Dec 20 09:55:33 UTC 2011

Stephen O'Neill said:
> but perhaps that just means if I am the
> kind of employer who is put off by this then I shouldn't be posting to this
> community, which is of course perfectly valid.

Possibly the recent flames have not been representative of the rest of
us who just listen and read the list. They certainly aren't
representative of me.

Flames aside, it is important to request more information publicly for
the benefit of the list: a poster may have accidentally been vague
about the location, the type of contract, or a job requirement. It is
polite to give them a chance to publicly correct an accidental
omission.

Nevertheless, if neither the flames or nor the discussion about
recruitment methods happen here, they will still happen: at the bar,
on blogs and on social media. If you will excuse a mixed metaphor,
even the good guys who put their heads over the parapet get trashed
somewhere eventually.

An advertiser can treat the list as write-only if they aren't
interested in opinions. In fact, it seems the advertisers that attract
the most flames already treat it that way; those firms aren't about to
start using salary to attract applicants.

Hope that helps, David