[linuxjobs] Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire

llearch n'n'daCorna llearch at llearch.net
Tue Dec 20 12:50:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:35:32AM +0000, Matt Judge wrote:
> > I wonder whatever happened to "A fair days work for a fair days pay."
>
> Some of the hardest work I have done, was in Guernsey working within
> the horticultural industry.  It was also some of the worst paid, often
> working from daylight to daybreak.
>
> Some of the easiest work I have done has been as a contractor, working
> within the IT industry.  It was also some of the best paid, often
> working from home.

... and yet neither counts as a fair day's work for a fair day's pay;
one on either side of the line.

Interesting assumptions, there.

> Some of the people on this list need to find out what real work is
> about.  I have often settled for a lower salary to do a job that
> interests me or brings me a new skill set.  And, it is not unheard of
> for a young school leaver to have all the skills required but not have
> the proven industry experience to command the salary to go with the
> skillset.  A role requesting an IT God for a low salary would be ideal
> for this candidate.

And the young school leaver would be entirely unable to obtain said job,
because he doesn't have the proven industry experience to get it. Nor
would your suggested school leaver be on this list, since they'll likely
not know of it's existence until they've been in the industry for a few
years.

> If a posted role doesn't tick all the right boxes for you, then please
> ignore it.  If, however, you want further information, then email the
> poster and ask him for further information.  Don't clutter up this
> list with your bullshit replies.  To be honest, if I was looking for

... Replies, like, say, the one I'm responding to? Good idea.

> an employee, you moaning bastards would be the last people I would
> want to hire - actually, keep moaning, you are improving my chances of
> being hired.
>

> Matt.
>
> Help the British Heart Foundation by Sponsoring me to ride.
> http://www.justgiving.com/TheJudge

And yet you're hoping us moaning bastards are soft-hearted enough to
donate to your chosen charity. Interesting.

As for my take on it - I'm more than happy for the conversation to
continue. After all, the list has already been filtered, so anyone who
doesn't want to see the responses has an immediate solution to hand;
those who do, however, can discuss the situation like reasonable people.
Or so I would hope.

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur