[linuxjobs] Fwd: Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire

Mark Brier mark at brier.me
Wed Dec 21 13:40:06 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Brier <mark at brier.me>
Date: 21 December 2011 13:34
Subject: Re: [linuxjobs] Linux Sysadmin required in Theale, Berkshire
To: llearch n'n'daCorna <llearch at llearch.net>

On 20 December 2011 12:31, llearch n'n'daCorna <llearch at llearch.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:35:32AM +0000, Matt Judge wrote:
> > > I wonder whatever happened to "A fair days work for a fair days pay."
> >
> > Some of the hardest work I have done, was in Guernsey working within
> > the horticultural industry.  It was also some of the worst paid, often
> > working from daylight to daybreak.
> >
> > Some of the easiest work I have done has been as a contractor, working
> > within the IT industry.  It was also some of the best paid, often
> > working from home.
>
> ... and yet neither counts as a fair day's work for a fair day's pay;
> one on either side of the line.
>
> Interesting assumptions, there.
>
> > Some of the people on this list need to find out what real work is
> > about.  I have often settled for a lower salary to do a job that
> > interests me or brings me a new skill set.  And, it is not unheard of
> > for a young school leaver to have all the skills required but not have
> > the proven industry experience to command the salary to go with the
> > skillset.  A role requesting an IT God for a low salary would be ideal
> > for this candidate.
>
> And the young school leaver would be entirely unable to obtain said job,
> because he doesn't have the proven industry experience to get it. Nor
> would your suggested school leaver be on this list, since they'll likely
> not know of it's existence until they've been in the industry for a few
> years.
>
> > If a posted role doesn't tick all the right boxes for you, then please
> > ignore it.  If, however, you want further information, then email the
> > poster and ask him for further information.  Don't clutter up this
> > list with your bullshit replies.  To be honest, if I was looking for
>
> ... Replies, like, say, the one I'm responding to? Good idea.
>
> > an employee, you moaning bastards would be the last people I would
> > want to hire - actually, keep moaning, you are improving my chances of
> > being hired.
> >

> > Matt.
> >
> > Help the British Heart Foundation by Sponsoring me to ride.
> > http://www.justgiving.com/TheJudge
>
> And yet you're hoping us moaning bastards are soft-hearted enough to
> donate to your chosen charity. Interesting.
>

> As for my take on it - I'm more than happy for the conversation to
> continue. After all, the list has already been filtered, so anyone who
> doesn't want to see the responses has an immediate solution to hand;
> those who do, however, can discuss the situation like reasonable people.
> Or so I would hope.

Not directed at anyone specific ...

For gods sake ... how long will this thread go on for, going over the same
crap.

It's a jobs list. If the job looks shit, don't apply. If it doesn't state
salary ... ASK. If not stating salary in first instance is a show-stopper
... don't apply! C'mon guys, it ain't rocket science!

I am kinda sick of seeing mail from this list that aint jobs and more-so,
argumentative comments when people post perfectly good opportunities!? I
know I can unsusbscribe to replys, but really ... why has it come to this?
I signed up to a jobs list, not a confrontational-moaning-pedant list! If
all the elitist wankers spent more time actually looking for a job, instead
of criticising  posters, maybe they would HAVE a job and not need this
list?! I guess unlike me, they haven't got anything better to do than point
out some poster missed a zero off the salary range (yes, that has happened
here!)

As for me, I have a job I am very happy with, I just like to know what's
happening in the market, but frankly, from this point forward, I will use
other sources for this because I'm loathed to stay subscribed here and
daily remind myself of how pedantic and pathetic most people in the
industry appear to be.

Merry frigging Christmas.

--
Mark Brier