[linuxjobs] MySQL Release Engineer @ Oracle (work from home)

Jonathan Perkin jonathan at perkin.org.uk
Thu Jun 23 14:51:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm looking for additional people to join my team.  We are a
distributed organisation who work from home (or anywhere you like, as
long as you have connectivity) producing the world's most popular open
source database.  You will be an ideal candidate if you fit into some
of these categories:

 - You've maintained packages for an open source project / ported
   software to something not Linux/x86/gcc, and contributed your
   patches back upstream, where they have been integrated because of
   their high quality and portability.

 - You love breaking things, as by fixing them you learn how they
   work.  You've at least built your own Linux kernel, if not compiled
   your own distribution at some point.

 - You have a github account with a bunch of open source projects
   you've worked on, one of which is written in python.

 - You've resolved some weird (Solaris linker|HP-UX aCC|Netware cross
   compiler|i5/OS) error in the past.

 - You don't mind working on Windows, and perversely enjoy using your
   Unix mindset to automate things as much as possible but with native
   Windows tools (because you like to learn, and dislike hacks).

 - You've worked from home in the past, enjoyed it, and want to
   continue doing so / do it again.

Here's the blurb:

Department Description
----------------------

Oracle, the world's premier database company, is hiring expert engineering
staff for MySQL, the world's most popular open source database.  The Release
Engineering team is an integral part of the MySQL development organisation and
performs critical functions during product development and release cycles.

Brief Description
-----------------

The Release Engineering team is responsible for timely, stable and well
packaged product releases on a regular basis, as well as providing build and
test services to the MySQL development organisation.

Detailed Description
--------------------

As a member of the Release Engineering team you will work on various projects
related to build and release, and will apply your variety of skills to deliver
the highest quality of work possible.  In particular:

 - You will be responsible for producing releases and custom/hotfix builds of
   MySQL Server, as well as other MySQL products such as MySQL Cluster and the
   MySQL Connectors

 - You will help to maintain PushBuild, our distributed build and test system

 - You will fix bugs in MySQL products related to build and packaging

 - You will provide the wider development organisation with expert consultancy
   on build and packaging components

 - You will strive to automate our processes with the goal of having them
   completely automated

 - You will maintain our build scripts, hosts, and general infrastructure in
   partnership with our dedicated lab teams

Job Requirements
----------------

We require someone with strong Unix skills, specifically:

 - Strong shell scripting skills, with good knowledge of at least one other
   high-level language (python highly desirable)

 - Strong knowledge of build systems (GNU autotools and cmake desirable)

 - Strong knowledge of packaging formats (RPM, DEB, SVR4 etc)

 - Strong knowledge of at least one Unix variant, with skills across multiple
   variants highly desirable

 - Good knowledge of distribution revision control systems

 - Working knowledge of MySQL

 - Some experience of Windows scripting/automation/build desirable

Additional Details
------------------

 - You will be self-starting, able to work autonomously and remotely with
   little supervision

 - You will be comfortable working within a globally distributed team
   communicating primarily via email and Jabber

 - You will always be seeking to exercise and grow your diverse skillset

 - You will have excellent written communication skills in English

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin       www.perkin.org.uk
github.com/jperkin  twitter.com/jperkin