[linuxjobs] Data Centre Engineer: £16-20k , Manchester

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Fri Jun 24 11:26:49 UTC 2011

----- Forwarded message from Matthew Bloch <matthew at bytemark.co.uk> -----

Bytemark Hosting are one of the UK's leading internet service providers; we're
looking for a data centre engineer to join our busy data centre team for 5
days a week in Hulme, Manchester.

You'll be deploying and fixing servers both directly for customers, and
internal teams. You'll get to build, debug and troubleshoot a range of
hardware, and fulfil Bytemark's promise to "build by hand". We really care
about the parts that go into our servers, build quality, testing regime - and
you should too.

Our ideal candidate, will love building PCs, and want to build and deploy lots
of them, every day. You will probably want to glue them together into gigantic
networks, and be interested to learn how that's done. You may even have a
partner who complains about Cat5 trip hazards or inexplicable whirring noises
in your house.

You'll need to be able to talk sweetly to our customers, set up billing for
their services, and help them spot basic hardware problems. You'll need to
schedule work for them, make your own promises, and stick to them.

If you know about Linux, TCP/IP configuration, or even IPv6 that would be
amazing but not essential.

Hours: 37.5 hours per week, usually to be worked 9-5ish Monday to Friday by
negotiation with our Data Centre Manager.

Salary: £16000-20000p.a. depending on experience.

Location: Hulme, Manchester

Benefits: 25 days annual holiday (not including bank holidays, and +1 day for
every full year served, to a maximum of 32), free broadband, eye care
allowance, free pension advice and access to your own pension fund. We do have
a policy of allowing home working but we don't anticipate it would be
applicable to this hands-on role.

To apply please email matthew at bytemark.co.uk with your C.V. - tell us a little
bit about yourself.

RECRUITERS: you are welcome to forward us candidates for this role, but by
doing so, you will agree to a fixed £500 fee. Do not contact us if your fee is
any higher, as we will use any information you send us on this assumption, and
will not agree to any other terms.

Thanks,

--
Matthew Bloch