[linuxjobs] ISP Application/Server guy; Newark, Nottinghamshire

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Thu Nov 10 13:12:34 UTC 2011

----- Forwarded message from "Ian P. Christian" <pookey at pookey.co.uk> -----

I run the Application Services team at an ISP called Timico
(http://www.timico.co.uk/company/careers). I'm looking for someone to
join my team (currently 3 of us including me) in our brand new
building in Newark, Nottinghamshire early next year.  It's a good
place to work, we work closely with the Network Development guys.
There's no end customer interaction, but we do support sales and
support departments too.  It's an exciting position with lots of range
in technologies, and we've just built a data center and are going in
fresh with nice new kit.

Our responsibilities are:

 - Configuring and maintaining customer facing solutions, eg:
   - in house developed mail platform handling millions of connections a day
   - DNS infrastructure
   - shared web hosting
 - Developing solutions to support the ISP infrastructure
   - network authentication
   - RADIUS
   - logging servers
   - monitoring solutions
 - Virtualisation
    - We've just purchased 2 SANs and 2 compute setups to develop a
cloud offering, and to virtualise as much as our infrastructure as
possible.
    - development of customer offerings / cloud services.
 - Security and compliance

I've one position to fill, but need a lot of skills in my team, so I
fully appreciate that someone will not be able to have all of the
skills I'm looking for, so a good combination of any of the below;

- Linux Sysadmin
  - mostly debian/ubnutu currently, but linux is linux mostly - so any distro
  - exim/dovecot/apache/freeradius/mysql/bind/
  - puppet/system automation
- DBA skills
  - mysql preferably, but it's pretty transferable from anything else
- Windows sysadmin
  - everyone can install a windows server and apply patches, I don't
consider you a windows sysadmin if that's the limits of your skills
  - you should know hardening methods, methods to properly apply
patches, know about minimising downtime, etc.  central management
experience a bonus.
  - we don't currently need it, but moving into cloud based offerings,
knowledge of hosting exchange etc might be useful
  - if you understand windows licensing, that would be good too.
- VMWare (specifically vSphere, preferably 5 - people with vCloud
Director skills jump to the front of the queue)
- onApp guys also welcome
- SAN admin experience, specifically EMC's VNX
- Networking skills
   - I'd expect anyone applying for the job to at least understand
VLANing and have a rough idea about what routing is and how it works.
   - firewalling
- Scripting ability
  - ruby/php/bash/perl/python

I'm going to risk getting flack for not putting a solid start salary -
I'm expecting 25-30k, but I might be able to flex this for the right
candidate. There's a huge range of skills I'm interested in, and I'm
willing to talk to people with a wide range of experience.

--
Blog: http://pookey.co.uk/blog
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ipchristian

----- End forwarded message -----