[linuxjobs] System administrator looking for job - Birmingham/West Midlands

Paweł Brzozowski corepb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:15:14 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I know, that's not really a good moment (after Kristen Eisenberg cloned
Ottavio's post) but my post is not supposed to be spam even if I am
located in West Midlands too. I am trying to find proper job in UK for
about 2 months. I am registered on most of the UK jobs sites and I am
after three interviews now - but I am still waiting for official message
that they want to hire me. It takes so much time to get any official
decisions - I am patient but I just want to do some progress. Currently
I am working in industrial, in warehouse and I am stock controller -
that's not my dream to work with labels and packages. My team leader is
waiting for kind of promotion in that company and I was asked If I am
going to stay there as a stock controller. If they give me that position
and I quit - he could be downgraded from his dream position to be stock
controller again. I had to answer my employer, that I am not going to
stay for longer time and now I am going to loose that job soon. That
makes me forced to find my target job faster that I planned - I am on
edge of the knife.

I am System Administrator looking for a full time job. Recently I made
the decision to move to United Kingdom - I live in Birmingham now. I am
an experienced person in the matter of networking services. My duties
included direct contact, supervision and development of network
infrastructure for large and demanding clients. They are well-known
companies in Poland but, some of them are known in United Kingdom too
(for example TUI Travel and JMD). I have graduated BA on the faculty of
administration of computer networks. I am easygoing and nice person,
responsible, I learn quickly, easily solving problems and doing well in
group work. My strongest point is the ability to integrate various
computer systems and planning / implementation of advanced solutions,
tailored to customer needs.

I would like to add something personal, it is not very official but very
honest. I am extremely motivated and determined person. I hope, that
this will not sound like a brag - I write it to advertise myself. As an
employee, I am ready to do everything what my position requires and
much, much more. In my previous job, I was working for about 4+ hours
not paid extra time every day. Sometimes, I sacrificed all my spare time
for solving current problems or improving various solutions. In 3 years
time I was *always* on call for customers and for my employer - that
phone number was available at company website as emergency number. The
most challenging situation for me was to convince my bosses in that
work, that upgrading the whole system base is a priority. They were
using FreeBSD 6.2 with many system scripts from very old FreeBSD
versions. They were not using advantages of ports system, security lists
- everything was compiled separately. Much of services, deamons were
working at very old versions and because of that - nobody wanted to
touch those custom installations without any standard patches, locations
or whatever. I knew that changing the whole OS was necessary, so I
wanted to show them advantages of sophisticated alternatives of Linux
operating system, which I prefer. It was hard, because I had to prove
them that my alternative is better, more stable with better performance.
Every time my solution failed, my chances of migration were drastically
decreasing. Two of my bosses were ex Unix FreeBSD administrators as well
and they really wanted everything to stay in the old way - it was really
hard to convince them. They were using and administrating those servers
too from time to time. When I started to work there, 18 servers were
running FreeBSD only. Now there are only 2 servers left with some old
services, which could not be upgraded. The rest and 8 new ones are
working on Linux now. My first machine on Linux launched three years ago
is almost nine hundred days of uptime now. I have to mention another
important example. I was working from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM of my normal
work time, then from 5:00 PM preparations for migration to 1:00 AM, 1:00
AM to 7:00 AM migration and then I was receiving many calls from clients
and from work colleagues until 5:00 PM after every little bug was fixed
and all clients and my bosses where happy. It gives 32 hours of working.
It was very difficult and time-consuming operation because I was
migrating many very old services to new structure and it was very
stressful. Everything went just great, without any big problems. On that
example I want to show that I am very responsible person and if
something has to be done, it has to be done perfectly no matter what. I
think that this shows me as heavy duty and determined employee and that
is the most important point for employer. I could mention hundreds of
examples like installing PHP extensions, which customer needed, when I
was on vacation, on the beach with my Android telephone and SSH session
opened. My employer never forced me to work this way, he could not -
because it was against the law. I was doing everything what was needed
to satisfy customers and to get best SLA of services - because I wanted
to do my job, the best I could. I love satisfaction which comes from
responsible and difficult work like this.

I know I can be very valuable employee and I am perfect person for
System Administrator position. Feel free to ask me any questions by call
[after 2:30] or email. If You need any more details about me, please
visit http://cv.linuxtech.pl website.

Kind Regards,
Pawel Brzozowski