[linuxjobs] "No agencies" policy?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 16:26:28 UTC 2012

Cornelius Marney wrote:

>Whilst I appreciate that sometimes the emails are a little vague and
>this may be "annoying" to some ...

I suspect this may be the biggest issue. Agencies tend to post vague
hints, not giving any clue about who the employer is, what they are
offering, where they are, and so on. This seems to be the norm on the
job sites, and I've seen jobs advertised by agencies where the
employer has specifically stated that they won't consider anything
other than direct applications (if you can work out who it is and
find their own site). To say this doesn't promote "positive feelings"
about the agencies concerned would be an understatement.

I know employers can also be vague, but IME agencies are far worse.

In other words, I doubt most people are actually against agencies
posting - but they are against anyone posting vague adverts that
don't give you enough information to decide if it's worth looking at.
In particular, though it may be cynical or it may be based on
experience, people seeing "generous salary" (or words to that effect)
expect it to mean "so little we won't say because no-one will apply".

Don't forget that the potential employer, or their agency, is selling
themselves to the potential employee. You only get to make a first
impression once.

I've no problem with agency postings. What I am against is useless
postings that could be potentially interesting, or could be a
complete waste of time as it doesn't meet one of more of my
objectives (location, pay, type of work).

--
Simon Hobson