[linuxjobs] Fwd: Software Team Leader (VoIP Team)

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Thu Oct 25 22:46:43 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from Peter Gradwell <peter at gradwell.com> -----

Hi

We are interested in finding a potential new Software Team Leader for our VoIP team.
Location: Cheltenham Street, Bath
Travel: Occasional travel required.
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: ~40k + good benefits.

The primary responsibility of this position is to lead on the development of the Gradwell VoIP systems, designing, developing and maintaining new applications and services.

Gradwell dot com Limited is a rapidly growing Internet Services Provider who provides email, web, broadband and Internet Telephony to over 18,000 UK Small Businesses through direct and channel sales methods.

We were named Communications Provider of the Year by the Federation of Communication Services (FCS), while our Gradwell Mobile service was named Most Innovative VoIP Product at the 2011 ITSPA awards. The company was also part of Deloitte's 2009 and 2010 Tech Fast 50 lists. We are a team of over 70 with a turnover of £6 million.

Position Overview

The primary responsibility of this position is to lead the in-house VoIP development team and deliver the next generation of the Gradwell VoIP systems, designing, developing and maintaining our applications and services.

Gradwell is the largest operator of an "open source" based VoIP platform in the UK, and we have a considerable investment in software which controls the provisioning, management and delivery of the system.

This is a software development management role. We are coming to the end of a two year technology rebuild and so whilst an understanding of VoIP would be extremely useful, the main focus of the role is controlling the system architecture and helping the team migrate to a more rapid cycle of development with increased focus on quality, testing and roll out.

The VoIP team is currently 4 developers, within an engineering team of 15. You will work very closely with colleagues in Infrastructure and Web Development. You will report to the Head of Engineering, whom is part of the company's Senior Management Team.

You will be a goal oriented, problem solving type of person. You'll be keen to integrate the team, encourage communication and sharing of expertise. You will have awareness of different communication styles and be happy to adapt as required. Developers will be happy to talk to you and you will command their respect as both a techie and a manager.

Our ambition is to be 4 times larger in 4 years time. Most of that growth will come from our VoIP products and services. To be the team leader for delivering the core product is an exciting and challenging opportunity which will place you at the heart of a well-managed, fast growing and well respected business in the City of Bath.

Essential Job Function

Lead and mentor the VoIP team in the development and maintenance of Gradwell applications & services
Be the technical authority for project and operational tasks, provide the short/medium term project planning and be in charge of the detail of how the platform is architected.
Maintain a broad understanding of the business, its practices, and technical systems.

Qualifications

2:1 or 1st class Batchelors degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
Strong proven experience (commercial preferred; open-source projects acceptable) of software development.
Experience of team management & integration.

Essential Skills and Technologies

A strong understanding of Open Source technologies
Knowledge of Perl and scripting language.
Knowledge of and ideally use of Debian GNU/Linux/Ubuntu.
Programming: Shell scripting, Perl, Python, C.
MySQL 5.x schema creation and maintenance
Ability to work without supervision
Good problem solving ability, primarily by reading code and understand its intended function, with help from other engineers as required

Preferred Skills

Prior knowledge of some of the software used within the business would be beneficial:
VoIP platforms and protocols: OpenSIPS, Asterisk, SIP, IAX
Infrastructure: BIND, OpenLDAP, Puppet
Knowledge of version control systems, preferably Mercurial.
Use of software development tools, preferably JIRA and other Atlassian tools.

Role Competencies

Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner and manages client expectations. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit whilst supporting everyone's efforts to succeed.
Time Management - Prioritises and plans work activities, both individually and as part of a team. Uses time effectively and meets commitments for quantity and quality of work.
Technical skills - Applies technology and strives enthusiastically to continuously build knowledge and skills, especially in the companies' core areas. Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability - Manages competing demands, able to deal with change.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathering and analysing information skilfully. Develops alternative solutions and escalates as appropriate.

Core Competencies

Gradwell has a unique and valued culture. All Gradwell employees can identify strongly with the personality traits and values set out below.

Personality:

Down to Earth - Gradwell people are straight forward and grounded
Friendly - Gradwell people like to make the work place a fun and relaxed place to be
Helpful - Gradwell people will always look for ways to help each other and their customers
Persistent - Gradwell people can be relied upon to get the job done - whatever it takes

Values:

Ownership - Gradwell people take on a problem, or project, and will see it through to a positive conclusion
Integrity - Gradwell people are honest and reliable. They do what they say they will do
Expertise - Gradwell people are committed to being knowledgeable and up to date with their particular discipline
Support - Gradwell people create an environment in which customers and colleagues can rely on them to do what needs to be done.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be asked to undertake any other reasonable tasks that may be required from time to time as directed by the needs of the business.

--
Dr Peter Gradwell
Managing Director

T: 01225 800 810 | F: 01225 800 801 | E: peter at gradwell.com<mailto:peter at gradwell.com> | www.gradwell.com<http://www.gradwell.com/>
What am I upto? http://www.rebelmouse.com/peterg/

Gradwell - Internet for Business People
Phone Services | Business Broadband | Email & Website Hosting
Highly Commended: ITSPA Best Business ITSP (SMEs) 2012

Registered Address:  26 Cheltenham Street, Bath, BA2 3EX, UK. Company Number: 3673235

----- End forwarded message -----