[linuxjobs] DevOps Engineer - Reading

Sarah Schwager sarah.schwager at datasift.com
Wed Nov 12 02:14:11 UTC 2014

Job Description:

For more information and how to apply:
https://hire.jobvite.com/j?cj=oN4eYfwN&s=Linux_Jobs

DataSift is seeking an operations engineer with a passion and flair for
deploying and scaling distributed web applications. You will work on
DataSift's growing server infrastructure, and be responsible for monitoring
and optimising our platform across multiple servers, networks and
databases. You will use modern operations tools, and will work closely with
developers to achieve high levels of scalability.

 What you will be doing:

   - You will be deploying, maintaining and scaling DataSift's
   infrastructure and application
   - You will work using our "monitor everything" principle, gathering
   metrics and taking appropriate action
   - You will be working closely with our systems automation framework, Chef
   - You will troubleshoot issues with hardware, software, network and
   applications
   - You will take part in our 24x7 on-call rotation

About you:

   - You are passionate about Linux and Open Source technology, and you
   strive to use up-to-date tools and techniques
   - You are very comfortable working on the Linux command line, and have
   broad knowledge of the surrounding technologies
   - You have a 2:1 or higher Computer Science, Software Engineering or
   related degree, or you can demonstrate additional relevant experience
   - You have experience working in an Operations or System Administration
   role
   - You have practical knowledge of shell scripting and at least one of
   our primary languages (C++, NodeJS, PHP, or Scala), or in Ruby, Python or
   Java
   - You have experience monitoring systems or services, possibly using
   software such as Graphite, Ganglia, Cacti, Zenoss or Nagios
   - You have the ability to collaborate with and enjoy a small, intense
   team of engineers and business people
   - You have strong verbal and written communication skills
   - You are ready to take responsibility and go the extra yard to hit a
   deadline

Useful extras:

   - You have had exposure to modern distributed systems software such as
   memcached, Redis, Hadoop, zeromq, kafka or zookeeper
   - You have familiarity with systems automation tools, such as Chef,
   Puppet, MCollective or Capistrano
   - You have a good understanding and passion for working with and
   optimising distributed systems

This role involves building the infrastructure that supports our
world-leading platform, and there's always something new to learn.  This
role will especially appeal to people enjoy learning new technologies and
approaches in depth.