[linuxjobs] Positive Internet is recruiting.

Luke Hall luke at positive-internet.com
Thu Nov 3 11:33:21 UTC 2016

Sysadmins / Senior Sysadmin roles at The Positive Internet Company

The company

Positive focuses on GNU/Linux and Free Software like very few other
organisations do. From the company’s desktop machines through to complex
computing clusters, as well as in significant parts of our networking
stacks, our deep commitment to free and open source software shines
through. Can we interest you in a rare opportunity to work for a company
with that dedication?

Positive Internet has been providing managed services and hosting based
on Free/Open Software for nearly 20 years. We have positions available
in our lively and friendly team providing support for a range of
GNU/Linux systems running secure networked services for a diverse range
of clients including some of the globe’s biggest brands.

The roles

We have several positions open at this time and welcome applications
from candidates ranging from enthusiastic amateurs to seasoned sysadmins.

Initial salaries range from c.£22000 for trainees to c.£65000 p/a for
more experienced candidates. The starting salary will depend on
experience and location as we have positions available in London and
Cambridgeshire; Positive offers excellent prospects for career development.

All applicants should have experience in some aspects of GNU/Linux
sysadmin, tuning the LAMP stack - including configuring and maintaining
MySQL and/or MariaDB, shell scripting, DevOps methodologies, configuring
HA hardware, software and storage clusters. Experience with Debian is
especially welcome.

Candidates for senior positions should have significant experience of
high-availability platforms in heterogeneous environments, including
configuring and maintaining private cloud stacks based on Xen and KVM
virtualisation technologies and, ideally, hybrid AWS platforms,
deploying with tools like Ansible and Puppet, configuring caching
technologies like Varnish, and some experience in deep-configuration and
securing of popular open application stacks, including Magento,
WordPress and so forth. Ideally, senior candidates will also have
experience of attaining and maintaining secure systems up to PCI Level 1
and ISO27001 standards.

Reporting to the Technical Team Manager and benefitting from the support
of a small, lively, and talented team, we nonetheless expect you to work
autonomously on a number of projects for the company and its clients,
ranging from providing support and troubleshooting through configuring
and tuning new private clouds to coordinating technical relationships
with our key clients.

Details

We can offer these positions in one of two locations: either working
from our offices in Soho, the very heart of London’s West End (5
minutes’ walk from Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus tube stations) or
in the NOC of our wholly-owned data centre in Cambridgeshire (by train,
14 minutes from Peterborough, 30 minutes from Cambridge).

Whilst you will generally work either in the London offices or
Cambridgeshire data centre, we do offer some home-working opportunities.
You will join the Technical Team on-call rota which involves occasional
weekend working remunerated separately.

Positive gives a good holiday allowance (25 days + bank holidays +
goodwill days around Christmas/New Year), lots of training
opportunities, funding to attend free software conferences such as
FOSDEM and other technical training/conferences, company mobile phone,
and the chance to work with some of the best free software experts in
the business.

Apply

This position should interest anyone with a passion for working in a
Linux-only environment with a team that shares your commitment to Free
and Open software and technical solutions.

If you would like to work in a completely Windows-free zone, please send
an email and CV (PDF only, please) to jobs at positive-internet.com.

Please ensure the subject line of your email includes *either* the job
title “Junior Sysadmin application” or “Senior Sysadmin application”.