[linuxjobs] Ubuntu / Canonical Hiring

Alexander Howells alex at howells.me
Thu Mar 4 23:28:03 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 5:49 AM Rory Campbell-Lange <rory at campbell-lange.net>
wrote:

> Interestingly I think some of the practices of Gitlab (for example),
> such as "document by defult" help eliminate many of these problems. I
> believe Gitlab is fully remote.
>
> I also wonder if diversity in teams would increase if the primacy of
> locality was loosened.

I'm actually not clear how GitLab hires anyone in competitive locations
like Seattle or San Francisco. What their calculator was spitting out in
2020 is significantly short of market rate.

I just looked today, and it seems like they've now restricted the
calculator. It can only be accessed by staff now, where it was previously
public.