[linuxjobs] Ubuntu / Canonical Hiring

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 08:17:53 UTC 2021

Hi Rory,

> Equally, why would a company offer different salary rates for the same
> expertise, experience and communication skills based on where the
> potential recruit is located?

Turning the question around, a London-based company wishes to recruit a
bare-metal ARM programmer to work from home with no requirement to ever
visit their London office.  Should they advertise a salary which
compensates for the skill required plus the weighting needed to exist
in London?  Or should they take the UK's mean or median living costs
into account because why should they subsidise the employee's choice to
live somewhere expensive?  Or given their new recruit could live
anywhere, do they have to assume he's in one of the California hotspots
because he used to work for Apple?  Do they state a core salary and say
a weighting will be added based on the digital nomad's location this
week?

There's no right answer.  It's a messy human thing.  I expect if WFH
does become more permanent then weighting will decline as companies can
benefit from formerly ruled-out candidates living in the sticks, in
addition to those who move to join them, either by choice or pushed out
because of fewer jobs willing to sub their location.

--
Cheers, Ralph.