[Malvern] Playing with LINUX.

Greg Wright malvern at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 09:43:01 2003

I've been dealing with a very nasty hacking incident. Its wasted about a day
and a half of my time so far with about the same to come.
Learned a lot of new security stuff. Hackers have moved on a lot in the last
few years as sophisticated hacking toolkits have become available. I'm
fairly sure that our attackers don't have much of a clue about what they've
done or how they've done it or the annoyance they've caused. The whole thing
was a fairly subtle attempt to put back-doors into the system which were not
visible to normal (even root) users. We found out by accident a few hours
after it happened. They even closed the door by patching the system so
nobody else could get in and password protected their back door!
Unfortunately the attack involved patching one or more kernel modules so now
there is little we can do apart from rebuilding.

Otherwise, I've been developing on our favourite platform with PHP
http://www.php.net  using the Fusebox design methodology
(http://www.fusebox.org) and Smarty templates http://smarty.php.net . Its
all pretty dull however the design methodology pushes the programming stage
back to the last 10% of the project before testing. The programming can then
be farmed out to programmers all over the world. I've also been developing
automatic module testing software which is working well as I get to know
about some of the bugs before our customers now!

My ADSL line * should * be connected today but no news yet.

Is there anything anyone would like me to talk about at the next meeting?

Best wishes,
Greg