[Malvern] Playing with LINUX.

geoff bagley malvern at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 19:28:00 2003

I have been having a fling installing and re-installing  various Linux's.

I have tried Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, SuSE  LINUX and FreeBSD UNIX.

I have been working on three machines.  Another one already has dual boot
Debian  and SuSE.

This one is the notebook.  Although the OEM is "Evesham", the innards are
Mitac.
I have not yet got XFree86 to run on the Trident LCD.
It is fine though with the CLI.

Currently using Windows98 to send this.  It is also dual boot.  I have had
lots of
fun playing with re-sizing partitions.

On another machine,  I have been using SuSE 8.0  with Gnome and
WindowManager.
So far not got Sawfish to work.  I'll ask Phil about that.  He uses Sawfish.
It is loaded, but cannot be made to run until I move the existing WM out of
the way.

The oldest machine is a 486.   The BIOS does not permit booting from the
CDROM.
I use to be able to  load from the CDROM (with booting otherwise),  but I've
lost that
for some reason.

What have you all been up to ?

Regards,