[Malvern] Ubuntu install bootloader problem

Chris Eilbeck chris at yordas.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 20:20:01 GMT 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:13:20PM +0000, Guy Inchbald wrote:

> >I'd ditch System Commander and go with either Lilo or Grub, probably
> >Grub.
>
> Why Grub?
> a) I see more problems reported with Grub than with Lilo (And not just
> on the Ubuntu forums).
> b) I quite often come across posts by people who only solved
> Grub-related problems by moving to Lilo. It's ages since I saw someone
> go the other way.

Grub understands the ext2 file system so you can boot kernel images that
you don't have configured in the boot menu.  This may not seem like an
advantage until you've mistyped the name of the kernel or initrd image
that you intended and don't have a rescue disk or any other simple way of
booting the system.

I understand Lilo more but I'm gradually moving to Grub on more and more
systems.

I definitely wouldn't stick with System Commander with no justification
other than it works right now.

Chris Eilbeck                         mailto:chris at yordas.demon.co.uk
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR