[Malvern] Mandrake Update?

Jonathan Melhuish jon at netacclaim.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 14:34:03 GMT 2004

> I've got a Mandrake 9.0 box that I need to use on the net so I'd kind of
> like to upgrade it to at least the latest security patches.  Is this a
> simple process?  Is it likely to work or should I just netinstall Sarge
> on it and be done with it?

I've never managed to get the Mandrake Update thing to work, personally,
although admittedly I haven't used Mandrake for a couple of years now.
Perhaps others have had more success?  I'd love to go back to Mandrake if
only they added automatic dependency resolution and updating, a la APT.

If you're just using it as a server then go for Debian, it's not worth the
hassle trying with Mandrake.  However, I have found Debian to be a lot
more unfriendly on the desktop; there are less handy little utilities and
it kinda expects you to know vaugely what you're doing!  :-(

Cheers,

Jon