[Malvern] Ubuntu install bootloader problem

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Tue Dec 21 10:21:56 GMT 2004

At 10:34 20/12/2004 +0000, Andy Lowton wrote:

>Out of interest, I switched to grub after many years of using lilo and I
>havn't had any problems with it all.

I'll ditto that.  I switched over to grub some years ago on nearly all my
machines.  As a result most of my recent experience has been with grub, and
I'm unfamiliar with lilo changes - if any.  I use it for Linux, multiboot
Linux & Windows, multiboot Windows, and also embedded machines.  Some of
these systems have required awkward boot time drive number swapping, which
I always found difficult with lilo.  I really like the built-in diagnostic
ability.  I can boot a system that would otherwise need a dedicated
recovery disk.  Never any worries about forgetting to run Lilo again after
a kernel recompilation.  If it has a weakness I think it may be in the
documentation.

merry christmas,

--
Steve