[Malvern] Re: Wifi stuff in Malvern

Chris Eilbeck chris at yordas.demon.co.uk
Wed May 26 22:27:51 BST 2004

> Chris
>
> To coin a phrase "it all depends ...."
>
> If your setup is just to provide a local network for your own use the
> setup should be adequate for the time being.  If you are looking to
> allow access into your PCs off the net you may want to set up a mask,
> if memory serves, that will allow access to a pre-defined point within
> the network (router setup).

I'll look at something a little more complex in a while but for now I
figure the fact that standing outside my house with a laptop running
NetStumbler showed me my network and one that isn't running any sort of
WEP, MAC filtering or anything else and even has a DHCP server and routes
to the net from any old wifi connection, my place is less likely to get
hacked ;)

I had a bit of a drive around Malvern earlier and found 14APs in total
going from Safeway up to the Uni then back down to mine in the bottom of
the Link via Graham Rd.  Only 6 had any sort of security configured.
Muhahahaha!

Chris Eilbeck                         mailto:chris at yordas.demon.co.uk
TRA #9527                                                        PSMR