[Malvern] How does linux handle IDE channels

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Apr 2 16:40:27 BST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:23:56PM +0100, Robin Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been having a few problems with my linux server recently - and
> have come to the conclusion that IDE Channel 0 has failed. The hard
> drive on it is still fine though (I've tested it using knoppix on
> another computer). I have replaced the hard drive in my server - as
> master on the secondary channel (IDE Channel 1) and it boots but gets
> part way throught the startup and stops because it "Can't create the
> device node for hda2". Is that because it is looking for it on IDE
> channel 0 and can't find it? Do I need to configure something so it
> knows where the hard drive is? Or is that my hard drive is actually
> failing - even though it can be read fine through knoppix on my other
> pc?

What OS is installed on the hard disk?  What boot loader?  What happens
when you boot knoppix on this machine with the failed disk controller but
with the disk on the second controller?

If you're using grub the you probably need to edit the boot command to
tell it where the root partition is and it should boot in single user
mode at least.  Then just edit the fstab as necessary and the grub menu
file.

I've just had the same problem moving a hard disk onto a new machine and
putting it on the ATA133 controller instead of the built-in ide
controller.  I've still no idea how I'm gonna boot the Win2kPro
installation on the same disk without reinstalling it but that's par for
the course, innit?

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR