[Malvern] Problems setting up network on SUSE

Robin Wilson r.t.wilson at rmplc.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 11:38:09 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have just wiped my hard drive and re-installed suse (mainly because my
server got hacked).

I have a few problems that I can't seem to sort out - that I managed to get
working last time I installed suse - but can't remember how to sort them!

1) I have apache running fine - but I can only access the server via my
machines IP (192.168.0.3) not its hostname (linux). What I mean is that I
used to be able to do http://linux/ in an IE/Firefox window and it would
work fine.

2) (This is probably related to 1) I cannot type "ping ROBPC" at the command
prompt. If I do that I get "ROBPC: host not found" but if I do ping
192.168.0.4 (ROBPC's IP) then I get a response.

Basically I think the problem is all to do with nameservers and stuff. The
IP's are given using DHCP. The DHCP server (on the router) makes sure that
Linux's IP is always 192.168.0.3 so it can route web server connections to
it.

I am also running a samba server on my linux box. And windows can see the
Linux computer - but when I try and access it it gives an error. That can
probably wait for another day though.

If any of you have any ideas about this I would be most grateful to hear
them.

Thanks in advance

Robin