[Malvern] Problems setting up network on SUSE

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Sat Jan 8 14:13:34 GMT 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:37:59 -0000
"Robin Wilson" <r.t.wilson at rmplc.co.uk> wrote:

> 2) (This is probably related to 1) I cannot type "ping ROBPC" at the
> command  prompt.

Really?

> If I do that I get "ROBPC: host not found" but if I do
> ping  192.168.0.4 (ROBPC's IP) then I get a response.
>
> Basically I think the problem is all to do with nameservers and stuff.

Yes, it is. There are two usual ways of resolving names: using DNS or a
hosts file (typically /etc/hosts). You don't say (above) whether ROBPC is
your Linux PC or another one. If it is your Linux PC you could add the
following to /etc/hosts:

92.168.0.4 ROBPC

That name will then resolve, but only on that PC. To have names resolve on
other machines you really need some kind of DNS, although if you really
want to you can have hosts files on every machine, including Windows PCs.

Given that this was working before, does the above ring any bells as to how
you originally resolved the problem? Is there enough here to move you
forward, or do you need more help?

Keith