[Malvern] SourceMage

Gerard P. Howells ghowells at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 4 22:40:50 BST 2006

Hello all,

I Just installed Source Mage on an old G3 iMac and in a VMWare virtual
machine on my main box and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is
kind of like a cross between binary-based distros like SUSE,
Debian/Ubuntu and Mandriva and source-based behemoth Gentoo.  In more
detail its a source-based distribution with a text-mode installer
similar to Debian or Slackware and a source based package management
tool similar to Gentoo's "Portage".  The up-sides are it doesn't take
days and days to install (like Gentoo) and it retains the fastness of a
source-based distro where everything is compiled to match your
hardware's specific requirements.  It uses some neat terminology too
with software installs being referred to as "Spell" which you "cast",
there is an ncurses front-end to what they call "sorcery" (their package
management tool, like apt for Debian) which is a little like aptitude
for Debian/Ubuntu.  Just thought some of you may want to give it a shot
as it seems like a happy medium between the simplicity of installing
Fedora or SUSE and the sheer commitment (and about 16 hours) required to
complete a Gentoo install.

Gerard.