[Malvern] Etchasketch

Andy Dixon andy at andydixon.com
Thu Apr 6 13:20:11 BST 2006

On 5 Apr 2006, at 17:38, Richard Forster wrote:

> Andy. Be sure to read the various FAQs on how to add the
> repositories that provide the packages US law won't let them
> distribute. Also, if you use a NVIDIA or ATI card try to use one of
> the 3rd party repositories that distribute the 3D driver as an rpm
> rather than using the nvidia driver download. The nvidia one works
> but overwrites some of the files without telling the rpm database
> and so makes uninstalling it harder than it should be, if you ever
> need to.

I have installed FC5 from DVD, all went fine. It detected my
soundcard, fine, rebooted, and now it only finds my modem as a sound
device, and my soundcard has gone.

Used the soundcard detection thing, finds the card, play a sample,
and it doesn't work. Looks like /dev/dsp is missing. /dev/dsp1 is
there, however thats for my modem.

I'm fed up with cr*ppy ATI laptop chipsets. They are the McDonalds of
the IT industry.

Andy