[Malvern] Installing on laptop.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 8 21:14:49 GMT 2006

I have an old Evesham Voyager laptop.  It is quite old, and has no DVD,
only CDROM.
This means that the only linuxes I can install are older ones, and then
upgrade them.

I installed Warty-Warthog Ubuntu, and then upgraded it in stages
Warty/Hoary to Dapper.
Encouraged by success, I decided to try again with Debian  Woody via
Sarge to Etch.

I got the Woody installed OK with KDE.

The ethernet is via a PCMCIA card, since it has no internal network adaptor.

I can ping the other machines on the network, including the Router,  but
I can't
so far get it onto the internet for further stages of upgrade.

This has to be a configuration matter, but I haven't yet figured where !
I know it can work for Debian, because it did so for Ubuntu.

Suggestions welcome,

Happy Christmas,

Geoff.