[Malvern] Installing on laptop.

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 8 22:39:35 GMT 2006

Hello Geoff,

We'll see what we can do ;-)

On Friday 08 December 2006 21:24, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> I got the Woody installed OK with KDE.

Okay for now, but in general if you're planning an immediate upgrade
just install the base system. Then apt-get update; apt-get install apt
apt-utils; apt-get dist-upgrade.

> The ethernet is via a PCMCIA card, since it has no internal network
> adaptor.

Type? Chipset?

> I can ping the other machines on the network, including the Router,  but
> I can't
> so far get it onto the internet for further stages of upgrade.

For now we'll assume the card is okay since it's working ;)
So did the Ubuntu box get out to the Internet okay - if so
we'll assume it's not a firewall issue.

So what error message are you getting from apt-get update?

> This has to be a configuration matter, but I haven't yet figured where !
> I know it can work for Debian, because it did so for Ubuntu.

Let's start with some info - can you post the outputs of issuing the
following commands?:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

/sbin/ifconfig

route -n