[Malvern] Installing on laptop.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 9 11:27:51 GMT 2006

Richard Smedley wrote:
> Hello Geoff,
>
> We'll see what we can do ;-)
>
> Okay for now, but in general if you're planning an immediate upgrade
> just install the base system. Then apt-get update; apt-get install apt
> apt-utils; apt-get dist-upgrade.

This assumes that apt-get works.  Mine doesn't.
>> The ethernet is via a PCMCIA card, since it has no internal network
>> adaptor.
>>

> Type? Chipset?

NE2000 compatible Netgear FA411.
This seems to work OK since it can communicate with other hosts on the
ethernet.
>> I can ping the other machines on the network, including the Router,  but
>> I can't
>> so far get it onto the internet for further stages of upgrade.
>>

> For now we'll assume the card is okay since it's working ;)
> So did the Ubuntu box get out to the Internet okay - if so
> we'll assume it's not a firewall issue.
>
> So what error message are you getting from apt-get update?

I get a "can't stat" for each clause of the sources.list.

>> This has to be a configuration matter, but I haven't yet figured where !
>> I know it can work for Debian, because it did so for Ubuntu.
>>

> Let's start with some info - can you post the outputs of issuing the
> following commands?:
>
> cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Same as my other machines.
The significant one is :
deb http://http.debian.org/ stable main
> /sbin/ifconfig

Normal - as per other machines.

> route -n

Ditto.
> ping 66.249.93.104

With Ubunto pings Google OK  (30ms).  100% lost packages on Debian

I prefer to achieve the upgrade from Woody to Etch in easy stages !
There are so many upgrades.  LILO to GRUB,  2.4 kernel to 2.6,  xfree86
to xorg to name the main ones.

It might be that I need DHCP rather than static, though I haven't worked
out which bit of the manual to read
(As in "read the fabulous manual").

I am very grateful for your help.
Later, I may have an interested bit of the "Voluntary Sector" I wish to
indoctrinate into FOSS.

Best regards,  thank you, and Merry Christmas,

Geoff Bagley,

Malvern