Debian networking [was Re: [Malvern] Wednesday.]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 18 18:20:08 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 17:39 +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> I now have all-systems-go,  with the exception of one small (though
> liveable-with) detail.
> I need to make the ifconfig settings to be stored, so that they are
> there at the next boot-up.
> I have not so-far found out where this bit of the boot-up incantation is
> kept.

Check through dmesg. It's possible that dhclient is running before
the network card is picked up (or, rather, before pcmcia services
are up). In which case you need to swap the start up order of
these services.

I'm temporarily on an Ubuntu desktop, I'll check properly when
i get back on a temperamental Debian laptop, just in case it's
one of the things that Ubuntu has changed :-/

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                   richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant
http://m6-it.org/          ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''