[Malvern] Gentoo

Andy Dixon andy at andydixon.com
Mon Feb 20 12:13:42 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with Gentoo? I have just spent the last two days
downloading and compiling it on my laptop.

It seems quite a bit faster, but after all this time compiling, I now need to
do more re-compiling to get my sound card to work. However, after sticking my
wireless card firmware into /lib/firmware, that worked pretty much straight
away.

Its also quite fiddly initially, but so far its worth it, so if any of you
guys have considered installing it, I would recommend that you do. However,
it can take well over 24 hours solid compiling. I left my laptop out in the
shed overnight so it would say cooler.

Andy