[Malvern] DHCP versus static.

Andy Dixon andy at andydixon.com
Tue Feb 28 13:25:25 GMT 2006

On 27 Feb 2006, at 11:41, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> I am still trying to get a better understanding of Ethernet.
>
> Do you guys  prefer to use Static IP addresses on your LAN,  or do
> you prefer DHCP ?
>
> Can you read out the MAC number of  another host (that being
> invariable) ? A bit like pinging, but more specific and informative.
>
> By the way,  some outfit in Hunan, China,  keeps probing my system
> (unsuccessfully) !

Hi,

You could try 'arp <ip address>', you may be lucky enough to get the
MAC address from that, however, every time I try it, it fails..

As regards to the Chinese, I had the same, plus loads of unsuccessful
ssh login attempts. I just blocked the IP ranges in the hosts.deny
file (I think). That sorted it..

Hope this helps

Andy

PS - this may get duplicated. I already sent this once, but it looks
like demon internet have lost it.