FW: [Malvern] Fixing HP Laserjets?

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 21:43:01 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:22:20PM -0000, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Happy New Year to y'all.

Wotcha d00d!  Happy NY to you too!

> Most HP LJs have a self test / print page function built into the actual
> printer.

It doesn't matter what I print, it's always a bit faint with some variation
across the page too as usually happens when you're running out of toner.

> If the quality of print is naff from this self test then the drum kit is
> either on it's way out or very nearly fit for the grave.  You may find a
> replacement drum kit knocking around somewhere, but you would have to be
> careful on exact model and version type - I fell foul of this at work a
> couple of years ago and buggered up a LJ3 - I did say a few years ago!

We've still got a couple of LJ2s at work, they're built like brick
shithouses so they just keep going.  It's not that long since we skipped a
DEC LN03 either but that really did have a massive ozone generation problem.

> Personally, unless you have a deep affection for this free (?) off load I
> would ditch it and look for something a bit newer.

When I get a bit of spare time I'm gonna take it apart and see what I can do
with it.  I don't have the space at home to strip it or the tools really.

> My techy query to you lot now.  How backwards compatible is USB v2 to v1.0
> and v1.1?

Fairly.  I've yet to find a device/host that you can't plug together and
have them work to some degree.  Usually a device will fall back to 1.1
compatible and things will talk to each other.

> Can you use the v2 socketary to connect to a v1.x device?

Connectors are just the same.  You might need better cabling to run at 2.0
speeds.

> I have some new kit coming in that needs v2 and all my USB stuff is v1.x
> so if I have to upgrade I don't really want to run both sets of socketary
> if one will do.

Chances are it'll all just work but at 1.1 speeds i.e. 12mbits/s.

> I preseume that Phil's place is next Tuesday ....

Too late, mate!  Tonight was the first Tuesday of the month.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR