[Malvern] Init/Boot

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 10 16:28:41 GMT 2006

Thanks for reply.  I am able to boot up OK using LILO.  GRUB is not
presently used.
I recently upgraded the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6, and then found that I no
longer have an X-window server.

There was a problem in the Debian community over the constraints on
XFree83, which was most
certainly not "free" software -  most of the type fonts were
proprietory, and incompatible  with the FSF.

The new XOrg people now have a new x11-x-window package, but it's only
in Sid, not even Etch, and I am still using Sarge!
Sarge seems to be stuck with  XFree86,  and the 2.6 kernel doesn't like it !

I am not stuck.
I have backed up all my most important files, and am operating from
another computer on the network.

Best regards,
Geoff