FW: FW: [Malvern] Video Networking

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 21 22:38:41 GMT 2006

Hmm, interesting Andy.

So what you are saying is that although the Base T type of network is the
most popular, and to be honest in the dedicated press (see Geoff's comments
from an earlier posting) the one they always steer home users towards, you
don't actually get what's written on the box.

Now lets see if I can get techy and actually understand it.

When a router sends out a package into the LAN it won't because of the way
the cables are daisy chained together, be able to send it directly to the
required destination, therefore it has to broadcast it out to all and
sundry.  I presume therefore that the router has to wait until it then
receives notification from that the receipiant has got the package
successfully before sending out the next.

Following this from the router into the LAN, I know that a switch is better
to have than a hub - is this because the switch knows what is connected to
it and therefore does not need to further broadcast these packages, or is it
just the way it handles the traffic?

And taking a sidestep, does a wi-fi Tx act as a hub or a switch or something
else entirely different?

When is the techy evening on networks Phil - I need help!

Ian