FW: FW: [Malvern] Video Networking

Colin Newell colin.newell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 00:52:18 GMT 2006

A switch is better than a hub because it keeps track of which
interfaces are down which paths so that it can just send the packet
down the one route instead of all of them as a hub does with every
single packet.  It does this by looking at the actual traffic meaning
that for the first packets it will be no better than a hub, but
subsequent ones will.

With the wifi the actual wireless bit doesn't have multiple ports in
the same way that a switch does so there is not a similar
optimization.  At the wired end it could be anything, quite often just
a cheap hub.