FW: [Malvern] Streaming radio.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Tue Nov 21 23:18:11 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:13:35PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> Hi Ian,
> I am less concerned with the "sensing end" of the streaming as the
> configuration of this end for its reception.
>
> People using Windows get "downloads" of whatever proprietary software
> that may be appropriate.  I need to set mine up.
> Most guidance seems to be oriented to various genres of music.
> That is not what I want.  I want the actual radio channel "Radio Cymru".

Get mplayer (compile from source, not via apt-get) and run

  mplayer rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/wales/live/wales_dsat_g2.ra

Et voila!  It takes a bit of hacking around to the the full rtsp URL for a
BBC web stream but you start at www.dave.org.uk and follow the links
(usually using wget or lynx) and reading the returned data from the
websites.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR