[Malvern] New_Adlestrop_Railway_Atlas

Angus Clarke post at angusclarke.com
Wed Aug 1 14:38:57 BST 2007

I wonder if this is a M$ Schedular issue here. M$ is geared up for the "user experience" and drains resource from other apps when something (like a PDF viewer opening a large PDF for example) demands it

It might be worth re-nicing the process under Linux to give it a higher priority (as a test)

To do this, you would need to identify the process ID from the process tree (after it has started) and then run (as root)

# nice -20 <1234>

where <1234> is the PID of your PDF viewer

The default Linux schedular is currently under great debate; Linus having decided to move to the CFS, which has upset many 3D graphical users as they believe that the SD schedular should have been incorporated into the Linux kernel - basically, some desktop Linux users think he made the wrong decision - please read more here:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/28/1836247 and here

Best Regards
/A

> Chris said:

It takes an age in kpdf for it to render at any particular zoom level on this machine (Dell Precision M90 laptop with 2Gb RAM) but it zips around once it's done it.  This is Ubuntu 7.04 with all the latest patches.

Chris